Tuesday, December 08, 2009

813 - The Power of Joy

December 6, 2009

Sermon #813

The Power of Joy

Nehemiah 8:8 - 12 (NKJV) 8So they read distinctly from the book, in the Law of God; and they gave the sense, and helped them to understand the reading. 9And Nehemiah, who was the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people said to all the people, “This day is holy to the Lord your God; do not mourn nor weep.” For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the Law. 10Then he said to them, “Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” 11So the Levites quieted all the people, saying, “Be still, for the day is holy; do not be grieved.” 12And all the people went their way to eat and drink, to send portions and rejoice greatly, because they understood the words that were declared to them.


Introduction: Last Sunday I brought a message in which I stated that where there was no thanksgiving and joy, there was no Christianity. Today, I want to tell you about the “Power of Joy” – what it is and how you get it!

    1. The source of joy

John 16:33 (NKJV) 33These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

      1. You have to receive the Word.

Mark 4:13 - 20 (NKJV) 13And He said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand all the parables? 14The sower sows the word. 15And these are the ones by the wayside where the word is sown. When they hear, Satan comes immediately and takes away the word that was sown in their hearts. 16These likewise are the ones sown on stony ground who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with gladness; 17and they have no root in themselves, and so endure only for a time. Afterward, when tribulation or persecution arises for the word’s sake, immediately they stumble. 18Now these are the ones sown among thorns; they are the ones who hear the word, 19and the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. 20But these are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the word, accept it, and bear fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.”

  • Hear the Word

  • Accept the Word

  • Bear fruit from the Word

      1. You have to delight greatly in the Word

Psalm 112:1 - 8 (NKJV) 1Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, Who delights greatly in His commandments. 2His descendants will be mighty on earth; The generation of the upright will be blessed. 3Wealth and riches will be in his house, And his righteousness endures forever. 4Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; He is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous. 5A good man deals graciously and lends; He will guide his affairs with discretion. 6Surely he will never be shaken; The righteous will be in everlasting remembrance. 7He will not be afraid of evil tidings; His heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. 8His heart is established; He will not be afraid, Until he sees his desire upon his enemies.


ILL: How did this man get himself established to where he could not be moved forever? How did he get so he was not afraid of bad news?

  • He is established on the Word!

  • Jesus said, “My peace I give unto you.”

      1. The difference between “World” peace and “Word” peace

John 14:23 - 27 (NKJV) 23Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. 24He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me. 25“These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. 26But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. 27Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

    • The world will only give you trouble and fear

    • The “Word” will only give you peace

      1. The source of “peace” and “joy” are the same!

John 16:33 (NKJV) 33These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

    • The “world” gives “tribulation”

    • I have spoken to you” = peace

    • I have spoken to you” = good cheer = joy!

ILL: When the people of the day of Nehemiah heard the Word, and understood it, they “wept” for joy!

    1. Joy is your strength

      1. In the midst of trouble

James 1:2 - 7 (NKJV) 2My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;

      1. What does Satan want you to do in the midst of trouble?

  • Moan and cry, “Why did God let this happen to me?”

  • God if you love me, why did you let this happen?

  • That preacher, and the Word of God lied!”

      1. What about if you don’t moan and cry, but shout, “Hallelujah, what a great opportunity to test God’s Word!

      2. Happiness and joy are not the same thing

    • Happiness is based upon comfort

    • Joy is based upon faith

Psalm 30:4 - 12 (NKJV) 4Sing praise to the Lord, you saints of His, And give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name. 5For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning. 6Now in my prosperity I said, “I shall never be moved.” 7Lord, by Your favor You have made my mountain stand strong; You hid Your face, and I was troubled. 8I cried out to You, O Lord; And to the Lord I made supplication: 9“What profit is there in my blood, When I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise You? Will it declare Your truth? 10Hear, O Lord, and have mercy on me; Lord, be my helper!” 11You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, 12To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever.

  • Happiness is based on the present

  • Joy is based upon the future

Hebrews 10:32 - 36 (NKJV) 32But recall the former days in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great struggle with sufferings: 33partly while you were made a spectacle both by reproaches and tribulations, and partly while you became companions of those who were so treated; 34for you had compassion on me in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven. 35Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. 36For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise…

Conclusion: How can a person be plundered and keep joy?

ILL: This month I will be 77 years old. Satan has tried to kill me many times from birth till now. I have been without employment several times. I have had my goods stolen. I’ve had friends turn into enemies. I’ve be lied to and lied about. I have been defamed and called things I would not repeat. I’ve built ministries and lost ministries. My failure has been prophesied at every venture. But I can look into the past and see that God has turned every event and trial into good. My confidence is in My Lord and I will endure that I may receive the promise.

How?


The Joy of the Lord is my strength!”

Hear what the Apostle Paul went through:

2 Corinthians 11:22 - 33 (NKJV) 22Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? So am I. 23Are they ministers of Christ?—I speak as a fool—I am more: in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often. 24From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness— 28besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. 29Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I do not burn with indignation? 30If I must boast, I will boast in the things which concern my infirmity. 31The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is blessed forever, knows that I am not lying. 32In Damascus the governor, under Aretas the king, was guarding the city of the Damascenes with a garrison, desiring to arrest me; 33but I was let down in a basket through a window in the wall, and escaped from his hands.


Yet Paul was an overcomer – So am I! The Joy of the Lord is my strength!

What about you?