Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Resurrection is the Gospel!

November 5, 2006
Sermon # 650
The Resurrection is the Gospel!

1 Corinthians 15:1 - 19 (NKJV) 1Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 3For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. 7After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. 8Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time. 9For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 11Therefore, whether it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed. 12Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. 16For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.
Introduction: Paul is finished with his writing about the Charismatic gifts. Now he turns his attention to the most important thing in all the world – The Resurrection of Jesus Christ!

I. The Evidence of the resurrection

A. The Corinthian church itself!

1Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

· The Jews tried to destroy the early church – they failed
· Rome tried to destroy the church – it failed
· The Enlightenment tried to destroy the church – it failed
· Darwin’s evolution tried to destroy the church – it failed
· Communism tried to destroy the church – it failed
· Today pseudoscience is trying to destroy the church – it will fail
· Political secularism is trying to destroy the church – it will fail

ILL Paul warns against a non-producing faith

Matthew 13:24 - 30 (NKJV) 24Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”

ILL:: Tares and wheat look like the same thing until they are ripe – the wheat bows the tare stands upright!

Matthew 7:22 - 23 (NKJV) 22Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

ILL: How do you know?

2 Corinthians 13:5 (NKJV) 5Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.
B. The Scriptures

1 Corinthians 15:3 - 4 (NKJV) 3For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

Luke 24:25 - 27 (NKJV) 25Then He said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26Ought not the Christ to have suffered these things and to enter into His glory?” 27And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.

Matthew 12:39 - 41 (NKJV) 39But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41The men of Nineveh will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and indeed a greater than Jonah is here.

Psalms 16:8 - 10 (NKJV) 8 I have set the Lord always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. 9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will rest in hope. 10 For You will not leave my soul in Sheol, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.

ILL: Dr. Raymond Brown enjoyed preaching the resurrection from the Old Teatament

B. The Testimony of Eyewitnesses

1 Corinthians 15:5 - 8 (NKJV) 5and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. 7After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. 8Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.

· By Peter – He went to Peter who had denied Him

· The Twelve - John 20:19 - 20 (NKJV) 19Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were £assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.


· Five-hundred many who were living when Paul wrote the letter

· James his half-brother - John 7:1 - 5 (NKJV) 1After these things Jesus walked in Galilee; for He did not want to walk in Judea, because the £Jews sought to kill Him. 2Now the Jews’ Feast of Tabernacles was at hand. 3His brothers therefore said to Him, “Depart from here and go into Judea, that Your disciples also may see the works that You are doing. 4For no one does anything in secret while he himself seeks to be known openly. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world.” 5For even His brothers did not believe in Him.


ILL: After the resurrection James became the pastor of the church in Jerusalem

· Paul last of all

II. The importance of body resurrection

1 Corinthians 15:12 - 19 (NKJV) 12Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. 16For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.

A. If there is no bodily resurrection Christ is still in the tomb
B. If there is no bodily resurrection preaching the gospel would be meaningless
C. All witnesses to and preachers of the resurrection would be liars
D. All would die in their sins


John 8:13 - 24 (NKJV) 13The Pharisees therefore said to Him, “You bear witness of Yourself; Your witness is not true.” 14Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going. 15You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. 16And yet if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone, but I am with the Father who sent Me. 17It is also written in your law that the testimony of two men is true. 18I am One who bears witness of Myself, and the Father who sent Me bears witness of Me.” 19Then they said to Him, “Where is Your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither Me nor My Father. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also.” 20These words Jesus spoke in the treasury, as He taught in the temple; and no one laid hands on Him, for His hour had not yet come. 21Then Jesus said to them again, “I am going away, and you will seek Me, and will die in your sin. Where I go you cannot come.” 22So the Jews said, “Will He kill Himself, because He says, ‘Where I go you cannot come’?” 23And He said to them, “You are from beneath; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

E. Those who are dead will always be dead

ILL: A Buddhist writes, “When Buddha died it was with that utter passing away in which nothing whatever remains.”

Mohamed died at Media, June 8, 632 at the age of 61 and his tomb is visited yearly by tens of thousand of Muslims. But they come to morn his death not to celebrate his resurrection. Yet the Christian Church meets every Sunday to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Conclusion; Not until our age of humanism has the doctrine of the resurrection of Christ been in question. Without question the Church as lived and died on the basis of the resurrection. What do you believe?