Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Giving God Glory

September 10, 2006
Sermon #642
1 Corinthians Series # 14

Giving God Glory

1 Corinthians 10:23 - 33 (NKJV) 23All things are lawful £for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful £for me, but not all things edify. 24Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being. 25Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience’ sake; 26for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.�£ 27If any of those who do not believe invites you to dinner, and you desire to go, eat whatever is set before you, asking no question for conscience’ sake. 28But if anyone says to you, “This was offered to idols,� do not eat it for the sake of the one who told you, and for conscience’ sake;£ for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.�£ 29“Conscience,� I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience? 30But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks? 31Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, 33just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

ILL: Now we come to the central message of the letter. “Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.�

The first question and answer in The Shorter Catechism are: “What is the chief end of man? Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.� The catechism is right in declaring that the pinnacle of man’s being is glorifying and enjoying God. The highest purpose any individual can have is to be totally absorbed in the person of God, and to view all of life through eyes filled with His wonder and glory. That is the perspective of the true worshiper, the one who truly glorifies God.

The word glory means “something that is worthy of praise or exaltation; brilliance; beauty; renown.� God’s glory has two aspects. First is His inherent, or intrinsic, glory. God is the only being in all of existence who can be said to possess inherent glory. No one can give it to Him; it already completely belongs to Him by virtue of who He is. If no one ever gave God praise, He would still be the glorious God that He is, because He was fully glorious before He created any other beings to worship Him.

The second aspect of God’s glory is ascribed glory.

I. God’s glory is inherent in that even the destruction of His enemies gives Him glory!
Exodus 14:15 - 18 (NKJV) 15And the Lord said to Moses, “Why do you cry to Me? Tell the children of Israel to go forward. 16But lift up your rod, and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide it. And the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea. 17And I indeed will harden the hearts of the Egyptians, and they shall follow them. So I will gain honor over Pharaoh and over all his army, his chariots, and his horsemen. 18Then the Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord, when I have gained honor for Myself over Pharaoh, his chariots, and his horsemen.�

Exodus 9:13 - 17 (NKJV) 13Then the Lord said to Moses, “Rise early in the morning and stand before Pharaoh, and say to him, ‘Thus says the Lord God of the Hebrews: “Let My people go, that they may serve Me, 14for at this time I will send all My plagues to your very heart, and on your servants and on your people, that you may know that there is none like Me in all the earth. 15Now if I had stretched out My hand and struck you and your people with pestilence, then you would have been cut off from the earth. 16But indeed for this purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth. 17As yet you exalt yourself against My people in that you will not let them go.
Jeremiah 13:15 - 17 (NKJV) 15 Hear and give ear: Do not be proud, For the Lord has spoken. 16 Give glory to the Lord your God Before He causes darkness, And before your feet stumble On the dark mountains, And while you are looking for light, He turns it into the shadow of death And makes it dense darkness. 17 But if you will not hear it, My soul will weep in secret for your pride; My eyes will weep bitterly And run down with tears, Because the Lord’S flock has been taken captive.

II. God’s Glory can be ascribed

Psalms 29:1 - 2 (NKJV) 1 Give unto the Lord, O you mighty ones, Give unto the Lord glory and strength. 2 Give unto the Lord the glory due to His name; Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.

A. Ways to ascribe Glory to God

Confession of sin

Joshua 7:19 (NKJV) 19Now Joshua said to Achan, “My son, I beg you, give glory to the Lord God of Israel, and make confession to Him, and tell me now what you have done; do not hide it from me.�

Trusting God

Romans 4:16 - 22 (NKJV) 16Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace, so that the promise might be sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all 17(as it is written, “I have made you a father of many nations�)£ in the presence of Him whom he believed—God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did; 18who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, according to what was spoken, “So shall your descendants be.�£ 19And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. 20He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. 22And therefore “it was accounted to him for righteousness.�

Bearing Fruit for Him

John 15:5 - 8 (NKJV) 5“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you£ will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

Thanking Him

Psalms 50:23 (NKJV) 23 Whoever offers praise glorifies Me; And to him who orders his conduct aright I will show the salvation of God.�

Being Content

Philippians 4:10 - 13 (NKJV) 10But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. 11Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13I can do all things through £Christ who strengthens me.

Spreading the Word of God

2 Thessalonians 3:1 - 2 (NKJV) 1Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, 2and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith.

B. Using Christian Freedom to Edify

1 Corinthians 10:23 (NKJV) 23All things are lawful £for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful £for me, but not all things edify.

ILL The Greek word to edify means to “build a house�

We grow through the Word

Acts 20:32 (NKJV) 32“So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.

Prophecy

1 Corinthians 14:3 (NKJV) 3But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.

Love

1 Corinthians 8:1 (NKJV) 1Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.

Obedient service

Ephesians 4:11 - 12 (NKJV) 11And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ

B. Using Liberty over Legalism

1 Corinthians 10:25 - 30 (NKJV) 25Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience’ sake; 26for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.�£ 27If any of those who do not believe invites you to dinner, and you desire to go, eat whatever is set before you, asking no question for conscience’ sake. 28But if anyone says to you, “This was offered to idols,� do not eat it for the sake of the one who told you, and for conscience’ sake;£ for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.�£ 29“Conscience,� I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience? 30But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks?

III. The Purpose is that men might be saved

1 Corinthians 10:31 - 33 (NKJV) 31Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, 33just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

Legalism will never bring anyone into a saving relationship to Christ!

Romans 2:1 - 5 (NKJV) 1Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. 2But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things. 3And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? 5But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God

Conclusion: Give God Glory – it’s His Goodness that brought you to salvation!